Problems with crop tool and rotating

Is something not working like it should? Let us know.

2018-07-11 05:07:54

I mistakenly posted this over in the features section, so I'll repost it here.

I'm having problems with the crop tool. My first problem is that when I first pick the crop tool and have "none" selected it doesn't default to the entire image. I sometimes have to shrink the zoom down one step to display all the image and then adjust the crop tool. The crop tool is also hard to fine tune and often acts like Photoshop with the snap to guides activated. Finally, if I rotate the image, it doesn't shrink to fit the monitor, it fills the original horizontal frame and crops the top and bottom of the frame (hiding them from my view).

2018-07-11 22:05:58

I think I figured out how to work the crop tool. For some reason, when I select the crop tool it always defaults to slightly smaller than my image window. I discovered that simply hitting the reset button makes it the correct size.

2018-07-11 23:34:18

interesting Max, I'm not having that issue that I can recall. Seems to me it's always been at the full size of the image since I changed to Pro version. I did have issues like that with the general version though. Glad you got it worked out though. :)

2018-07-12 06:43:48

As I used Pixelmator Pro more today, I discovered that it didn't always do it. It seems like it would work correctly for awhile and then go back to cropping in tighter and I would have to hit reset again.

2018-07-12 15:16:14

This a feature of Pixelmator Pro that we're thinking of removing. You're right — the cropping box is created according to the current viewable area of the image (slightly smaller than that area, to be precise). So, if you zoom out before choosing the Crop tool, the cropping box should take up your entire image. Of course, you'll need to zoom out so that there's a decent gap between the edges of the image and the canvas.

Not the most intuitive or useful of features, so we'll think up a way to improve it (/remove it) in upcoming updates.

2018-07-12 15:17:10

Oh, and to stop the snapping, you can hold down the Command key after starting to move/rotate the image.

2018-07-16 18:47:44

Thanks for the command key tip on cropping. I can now make a fine adjustment with the cropping tool. Based upon your answer, I'm assuming that my problem with rotation is that I need to zoom down and adjust the canvas so it doesn't crop when rotating. Thanks!

2018-07-16 20:16:05

I was rotating wrong! I was using the rotate command in the crop window. That only rotates the layer I'm working on. To rotate the entire image I need to go to Tools>Rotate Image.