Colour Adjustments don't work on Shapes.

Is something not working like it should? Let us know.

2018-02-19 19:04:32

To reproduce:
Add a square to an image.
Add Black and White (or any other color adjustment) to the square.
Notice that, while the UI lets you adjust the sliders, nothing happens to the image.
Notice also that, when you select something other than the square then return to it (or select another tool then return to Adjust Colour), no Adjust Color settings have been saved.

Workaround:
Put the shape in a group (all by itself if need be) and apply the Color Adjustment to the group.

(Pixelmator Pro 1.0.8 on macOS 10.13.3)

[edit]
This also applies (in a slightly different way) to a layer that has had a generator effect (e.g. Checkerboard) applied to it.
Here, the Color Adjustments will be saved but won't do anything, possibly because they are being applied to the invisible bitmap behind the generated object.
The workaround is the same. If the layer effect is put in a group, you can apply colour adjustments to the group.

2018-03-22 08:53:18

I seem to have missed this thread before! This is how these particular features should work because layer styles are applied to a layer last. So, say you add a Fill layer style to a layer, it takes everything you did previously to that layer and adds a colored fill over it. If the color adjustments affected this, it wouldn't really make sense. Of course, because it's a shape, you don't really think of its fill as a layer style, so I get that this might seem a little confusing.

2018-03-22 11:44:28

I seem to have missed this thread before!
No worries. Thanks for the response. I think I understand how this works, now. Correct me if I am wrong:
First Adjust Colors is applied.
Then Add Effects.
And lastly Style.

If I'm right, this leads me to a feature request:
Put Style, Add Effects and Adjust Colors (in that order) next to each other in the Tools palette as a reminder/indicator of their order or precedence.
I understand that there might be some resistance to this as I'm sure they have been put in the order they are for a reason, but I'd find it really useful for the UI to hint at the underlying functionality by ordering the icons.

2018-03-22 11:54:26

Actually, effects are last, my bad! Adjustments > Styles > Effects is the order. We'll think about potentially reordering those tools, though as you said, there's a reason for why they are the way they are.

2018-03-22 12:26:15

Thanks Andrius. Much appreciated.