Auto-blend layers

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Pro?

2020-08-01 12:24:50

Hi! I have tried to swap faces with Pixelmator, but no luck, because of different skin tones. Also I have tried different blend modes for layers, but I am not sure that it is what I need.
«Paste and match style/color» is not working as expected.

Does this feature is present in application? Maybe, I just didn't find it? In this case it would be great to have a tutorial for that, it is really demanded feature.

P.S. I need exactly the same as «auto blanding layers» feature in Adobe Photoshop.

2020-08-03 13:17:34

Hey there! I believe you're using the "Paste and ML Match Colors" option from the Edit menu? Perhaps you could share some examples of where the feature doesn't perform as expected? You can share them here if you want, or send them to us at support@pixelmator.com :pray:

2020-08-03 18:13:56

Let's imagine I want to swap two faces. For example, Obama and Tramp (it is just a good example because of skin tone contrast, no political context)

I used standard technique for photoshop users: select face, transform it, refine selection to 5-6 pixels, delete selection from background layer to allow software adjust colours according to borders colours range.
This what I had before merging: Image
And this is final expected result: Image

And now I really want to achieve similar result in Pixelmator Pro.
Here my two layers I want to combine: Image

I have tried to delete top layer and paste it back with «Paste and match colour», but final result is not what I was waiting for: Image

How can I achieve expected result in Pixelmator Pro?

2020-08-08 05:37:15

Looks like it is impossible to achieve similar results with Pixelmator Pro. Very pity:-(

2020-08-12 12:15:57

There isn't a one-click way to achieve this but it's not quite outright impossible. To match up the colors, you'd need to adjust them manually — in this case, you could use the Color Balance adjustment to add some orange/red tones to the highlights and shadows. To take care of the edges, I'd use the Erase tool with a high Softness setting and maybe slightly lowered Opacity. Then, after softening up the edges, I'd merge the two layers and use the Repair tool to touch up any areas that I could get right manually. This is a very quick (5-minute) attempt with Pixelmator Pro:

It's definitely far from perfect but with a little more effort and attention to detail, I think you'd be able to get a better result.

P.S. We'll also keep the auto-blend layers feature in mind for the future!

2020-08-12 16:08:43

I am totally beginner and it is quite a challenge for me to adjust color tones manually at the current stage of learning any software. Anyway I am going to buy licence from my next salary:-)
P.S. We'll also keep the auto-blend layers feature in mind for the future!
💪 💪 💪 Good news! I believe it is really must have features for a lot interested featured customers.