persistent labels on toolbar

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Pro?

2020-07-17 01:00:11

I enjoy Pixelmator Pro as I have found that its features and functions are reasonably discoverable for an occasional user such as myself. I appreciate that the Tooltips feature allows me to remind myself of what the icon of a tool means.

Not that I think that there is anything wrong with the tool icons per se, however I find I am constantly referring to the tool tips to distinguish some of the icons from one another. In particular, the difference between 'style' paintbrush vs 'paint' paintbrush doesn't leap out at me, nor the difference between the abstract 'repair' band aid and the 'eraser' - I still don't know how that represents an eraser.

Mind you - I grew up on the MacPaint and Superpaint icons...

Would you conisider the option to make tool tips constantly 'on'? Perhaps also the option to have the tool bar at the top of the screen; this might leave some room for the text labels.

Thanks for a great program and the continued feature development :ok_hand:

2020-07-17 12:22:51

Feature request noted! For now, you could click the currently selected tool again to deselect it, which will make the tool names appear. However, this only works with ungrouped tools, so make sure you click something like the Arrange tool or Style tool, which aren't grouped together with any other tools.

2023-03-16 20:53:16

I have a different version of this issue:

I typically use Pixelmator Pro on my MacBook Pro as a "plug-in" within Photos.app. When I do so, I cannot see the labels on the tool icon. It's frustrating, but I've lived with it.

Well, today, I installed Pixelmator Pro on my iMac, and when I opened it as a "plug-in" within Photos on this machine, the icons had labels! I was very excited by this! However, after selecting a tool and using it, I cannot figure out how to make the labels display again!

Based upon the reply above, I figured I could click on a tool again to deselect it in order to make the labels appear—but that is not working.

Then, thinking this was a limitation of using PPro as a plug-in, I launched the full PPro application—but the same thing happens: At first, I see the labels, but after selecting a tool, even clicking on the tool again to deselect it—as mentioned above—does *NOT* work!

So, the official "solution" given by a Pixelmator Team representative still doesn't work. C'mon, folks! How do we fix this???