Color ungrading

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Pro?

2019-11-26 16:20:20

I'd like to take my photo and color correct the shaded colors that are usually in a kind of gradient across the picture. That is, sample two pixels and interpolate color corrections to flatten the color out relative to those samples.

2019-11-28 09:10:47

At the risk of sounding uneducated, what tools would you usually use for this? If you have any visual examples, that would be useful, too. I think I know what you mean, but I just want to make sure.

2019-11-28 14:13:28

I DON'T have tools to do this, and it comes up for me all the time! It's like keystoning, one of the things that pops up all the time when people hand you photos you have to use elsewhere.

Here is something like it, though. I am putting a luminocity gradient layer on top:
Before:
After:
The effect is most noticeable at the top of that image. [BTW, that's me and one of my apps, AUMI].
The idea would be to create a mask out of sampled spots more sophisticated than this gradient is and apply it. It probably should be interpolating H, S & V.
I really should have made a few overlaid gradient layers in this case, because light does not fall off linearly.
It might be enough to just make the gradient layer, so layer compositing, masking, and opacity adjustments can be done by hand.

This is the kind of thing I'd like to code up by hand if you had plug-ins or scripts that could talk to your interface or something.
30 years ago (!) I wrote an animation program on Amiga that had a lot of built in stuff, but also could be entirely controlled by external scripts. That let me make up plugins to alter timing, build shapes and lines from external data, and use it to convert formats, make related color sets, run operating system commands, and much much more that had no place in the actual app, but were convenient for particular use cases. https://www.echonyc.com/~jhhl/VaporDocs/index.html

2019-12-02 15:36:10

This is looking like a distinct possibility as we've recently been exploring ways to add in-app automation — we'll keep this in mind as a possible workflow!

2019-12-02 15:55:47

Excellent! I'd be happy to give unsolicited advice.

2019-12-02 16:01:31

by jhhl 2019-12-02 12:56:32 Excellent! I'd be happy to give unsolicited advice.
Great! In that case, make sure to keep an eye out for any future beta versions — we usually post about them on the main Pixelmator Pro forum.