Pixel value (RGBA) readout

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Pro?

2019-09-28 20:14:14

I know that this has been requested for more than a year:
by Rob Ell 2018-07-05 23:16:53 Is there a way to display (preferably in the top window info area) the RGB color or greyscale value of the pixel under the cursor? Like the way the cursor x & y position dynamically updates as the mouse moves.
I use this all the time in Pixelmator (and Affinity Photo, and Capture One Pro, and Aperture before that, and PS back when I used Adobe stuff). Its lack is one of the reasons I can't switch over to Pixelmator Pro.

There's that big, beautiful Info Bar in Pixelmator Pro. Why doesn't it show this most basic and fundamental info?

2019-09-29 10:11:54

It was actually included in our pre-release internal betas of Pixelmator Pro but we took it out due to it impacting performance too much (at the time). And since then, we just haven't got around to adding it back in, to be honest — I'll try to check whether we can add it in the not too distant future!

2019-09-29 19:28:08

Thanks, Andrius! Maybe I'm more sensitive to the lack of the indicator as an RGB readout was an essential part of the first two image editors I wrote... back in the '80s, grin. (Nowadays I put stuff like this in a low-frequency background loop so that it's still plenty fast enough for humans yet infrequent enough that it doesn't noticeably impact performance.)

2019-09-30 09:09:40

Just a had a chat with the devs and we'll do our best to add it once we get around to adding a dedicated Color Picker (eyedropper) tool. Definitely in our plans.

2019-09-30 18:06:51

Hooray!