DESPERATE for a transition guide for Pixelmator users.

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Pro?

2018-12-25 18:16:39

I’ve been a Pixelmator user for many years (since the start) and was excited to purchase Pixelmator Pro when it was released. Literally every single time I have tried to use it, I have thrown up my hands in frustration and gone back to Pixelmator. Up to this point, I have just been assuming it is my fault for trying to learn a new product when I was under a deadline. But today I have reached the end of my rope.

Today’s nightmare: I create a blank canvas and drag an image in from my desktop. Infuriatingly, Pixelmator Pro instantly CROPS the image to the size of the canvas, with ZERO control from the user. The part of the image that I need is lost, and I cannot find any way to recover it. I’ve tried dragging it from the desktop, inserting it from the pull-down menu, holding my mouth right… NOTHING gives me any control over what happens! The Pixelmator Pro website claims that this new product is “totally and completely Mac.” How can you justify such nonsense? Inserting an image is destructive? Come on, now. That is ludicrous. Try the same thing in Pixelmator: Once the image is dragged in, you can drag and scale to your heart’s content. WTC, people? Which is the Pro product anyway?

Where can I find a survival guide for Pixelmator users who are trying to transition to Pixelmator Pro? As a developer, you owe your users at least this simple courtesy. Tacking “Pro” onto the product name implies that this new product is a “pro version” of the original product. The expectation is that anyone competent with the PM UI should be able to pick up working in PMP, exploring the new “pro” features as they work. Pixelmator Pro bears no resemblance whatsoever to Pixelmator. Am I the only one who sees this?