Batch Export Utility Needed

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Pro?

2018-07-11 14:51:00

I just purchased Pixelmator Pro and I'm really excited about the automated color adjustments tool. My job requires editing several hundred images every day and up to now I've had to do that in Photoshop. To help speed up the process, I created a whole list of custom actions. With one click Pixelmator Pro does a better job of correcting images than I can often do manually in Photoshop. The one problem is that at the end of the day, I need to go back and manually export each Pixelmator file into a jpeg file. Given that the Pixelmator file is proprietary I think it is important to have an easy way to convert multiple files at one time.

I know not everyone edits hundreds of photos a day, but most photographers will have events (weddings, photo shoots, vacations) where they have multiple photos they need to save as jpegs. I'm hoping that soon there will be an easy way to do this.

2018-07-13 12:49:34

I already let Max know about this via email, but in case anyone else is interested, we are considering adding our Auto Color Adjustments as Automator actions in some form.

2020-10-14 12:04:19

Hello... it's been a while. Is there anything new on this? I have 20 images open in Pixelmator and I cropped them all... what's the best way to export them all at once? There's still no "export all" command in the menu.

I regularly work with large batch of images and having to export them one at a time is quite a pain.

2020-10-14 14:42:41

There isn't a built way to do this, but it's quite easy to script this using the recently added AppleScript support.

Here's a script that would do this for you:
tell application "Pixelmator Pro"
	set exportLocation to choose folder with prompt "Please select where you'd like export the images:"
	repeat (number of documents) times
		export the front document to file ((exportLocation as text) & (name of the front document) & ".jpg") as JPEG with properties {compression factor:85}
		close the front document without saving
	end repeat
end tell
In the example above, the images would all be exported with their current names and with 85% quality as JPEG files.

If you'd like, you can make the script menu visible in your menu bar (you'll find the option for that in Script Editor preferences), save the script above in your scripts folder, and you'll always have quick access to it. Let me know if you need help with modifying the script in any way!

2020-10-16 14:19:55

Works great, thanks a lot! I knew there was a way to script this but never got around to actually write the script.

How does the 'compression factor' property work? If I need maximum quality, do I need to set it to 100 or to 0?

2020-10-16 14:26:10

100 is max quality, I guess 'compression factor' isn't the best term to use under those circumstances...