Set centre of rotation and resizing.

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Pro?

2018-06-04 18:03:06

The idea for this feature came up when I was working on an anthopomorphic figure made out of parts on different layers. I was adjusting the angles of the arms and legs by eye but, every time I rotated a shape, it rotated about its centre so I had to adjust its position after rotation.

That made me think how useful it would be if I could set the centre of rotation of the arms as to top of the arm where it joins the shoulder. That way I can just play with the angle of the arm without all that mucking about in x and y. :smiley:

I was reminded of it when replying to a post about stacking images of the night sky where you could align the images by the brightest star, set that as the centre of rotation on all the layers and more easily get a useful stack of images.

Here's hoping that you at Pixelmator HQ like this idea as much as I do.

- Stef.
P.S. I mentioned resizing because, then resizing using the fields in the Arrange tool, it would make sense of the layer to resize around its centre of rotation.

2018-06-14 07:06:43

Hey Stef, I didn't reply to this thread when you first posted it, but we've actually been discussing this idea over the past few days. The camp is split over its usefulness, but I quite like the idea (and it was actually available in the original Pixelmator in the past).

2018-10-19 04:36:48

"Split over it's usefulness"? Having been using graphic software since 1984, I can tell you without a doubt it's useful to reset the center of rotation and scaling. This would be a great feature to add!

2022-09-15 18:38:11

I'll add my voice to this request. It's a crucial feature for speed in modifying your work. Currently I'm matching several faces for reference and I need them all into place and match size. The quickest way would be to pick a feature on one, line up the other to match and place the center of rotation on the feature. It's then very fast to rotate and scale the image to match.

2022-09-22 23:09:18

Not being able to adjust the pivot point is really the only thing missing from Pixelmator for me. really it's the only thing that's keeping me from replacing Affinity Photo. Shouldn't have to jump into a different app to be able rotate the image from an arbitrary point. It confusing as to why it was removed in the first place if it was present in previous version of the software.

2022-09-23 03:45:14

+1 for adjusting a pivot point
- Useful for illustration mostly, for me choosing an anchor/pivot points for rotated copies is a useful way of making symmetrical object clip-art drawings like a vase, butterfly, building, face, table, furniture, snowflake, birds, flowers, etc.

2022-10-17 16:33:00

+1 also
I think I understand more about how difficult this could be. But it would be very nice to have.