Export for web

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Pro?

2017-12-09 20:38:04

Hi:

Love the new Pixelmator but I need "export for web" back in Pixelmator. I read that u are working on it but ... when will it be?

Thanks!

2017-12-14 21:18:42

I recommend doing web optimization using dedicated tools.

First, when working with a PNG, I always try running it through ImageAlpha: https://pngmini.com (Don't mind the outdated website — this is updated to work on High Sierra). Depending on the nature of the image and what it's being used for, I can often squeeze an 80% file size reduction with no appreciable visible difference (but your milage may vary, naturally).

Then, regardless of whether I'm using PNG, JPG, GIF, SVG, etc, I always run my images through ImageOptim: https://imageoptim.com/mac (made by the same dev as ImageAlpha). This program does an incredible job of finding the most optimal way to encode images, producing a significantly smaller file, losslessly! For this program alone, I wish I had an iMac Pro, since it will soak up every CPU core you have. But the wait for it to compute the best result is sooo worth it.

This combo produces a higher-quality, better-compressed result than any other tools I've ever used. And they're free. And they're exclusive to the Mac (yay). And the developer is a pretty rad dude.

This is definitely the better way to go than waiting for Pixelmator Pro to add such features.

2017-12-16 06:09:58

Update — there's an aspect of Export For Web that is decidedly missing: the live-updating preview! How else is one supposed to know what JPG quality to use?

2017-12-19 08:42:26

Thanks Ivan, but as you say, in addition to the preview, other features such as Indexed PNG, GIF, Indexed GIF and more are missing for web developers.

2017-12-21 16:19:00

Yes, any idea when we can expect this?

2018-05-15 17:50:20

Bumpity bump bump.

2018-05-16 13:15:34

🤐

(That's the good kind of zipper mouth, but I shall say no more...)

2019-09-28 20:26:32

Still waiting for indexed PNG export (a.k.a. PNG-8 or dithered PNG)...
EDIT: It's there, as the "Reduce to 8-bit color" option. There isn't the ability to choose the number of colors any more, but the "Use advanced compression" option seems to do just about as well, size-wise, as manually optimizing the number of colors used.