Pixelmator Pro RAW Support

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Pro?

2017-09-05 21:59:53

I am looking at the new Pixelmator Pro page and am considering as a replacement for Adobe Lightroom. I understand they are different in terms of style of program, but I'm wondering if Pixelmator Pro truly is as capable with RAW's. Will it support .ARW and have full 14-bit RAW support?

2017-09-08 08:38:20

Pixelmator has allways supported all the RAW-files that OS X supports. However Pixelmator could never do RAW editing. It just let OS X do the conversion to a bitmap and then showing the converted result. Pixelmator Pro however has full RAW support, meaning it can work directly on the RAW files. However I do not know yet if this is for all RAW formats. You might end up with the more exotic formats being converted up front like with Pixelmator. I'm positive though that if this is the case that support for more and more RAW formats will be added in future releases.

2017-12-27 10:58:14

hi! anybody use Panasonic Lumix camera? This camera shot in RW2 RAW format, I would know if this format it's supported by Pixelmator Pro. Thank you.

2017-12-27 19:07:43

Hi Nicoletta,

I am using a Panasonic Lumix FZ150 which creates also RW2 RAW files. These RAW files are supported by Pixelmator Pro.

2019-03-28 21:22:48

Will PIxelmator Pro edit my RAW files shot from a Sony Alpha 200?

2019-03-29 06:17:16

Hi Elle.
I think that Pixelmator Pro gets its RAW support from Apple's RAW converter. List of supported cameras (for Mojave) here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208967
If you want to be absolutely certain, you can test it using a trial version of Pixelmator Pro, available here: https://www.pixelmator.com/pro/free-trial/
(Or upload the RAW file somewhere and put a link in the forum. I'm sure someone will help out.)
Hope this helps.
- Stef.

2019-03-29 12:57:03

Thanks, st3f. My camera is listed. Do I need to get Apple's Raw Converter? Is it an app? I have read about it and it seems to be something I need to get ( as opposed to software already on my iMac). I like the idea of using the trial version, but months ago I tried the non Pro version before I started using Raw. When it expired, I never got a reminder to buy it and did not purchase it. Now I would love to purchase Pixelmator Pro, but want to make sure i can edit RAW .

2019-03-29 13:36:47

Do I need to get Apple's Raw Converter?
No. It's all built into macOS. As I understand it, it's the converter that Apple Photos uses. It's just that Apple let other apps use it too.

I'm happy to try out a RAW file for you if you'd like. If you have somewhere to upload a test RAW file, just post a link below. If not, there's an unofficial Pixelmator discord server here: https://discord.gg/wsJukbr where you should be able to post the file. I'll check both locations later today.

2019-03-29 14:43:00

HI,
My Dropbox account is full (I deleted a large file, but it still claimed that the account is full) and Google photos could not upload the file (maybe because it is RAW). I set up a Discord account but could not figure out how to upload my file ( I did do a search). If the converter is built into Apple I should be OK . Thank you so much for that info.

2019-03-29 17:00:16

No worries. You're welcome.

2019-04-08 07:32:26

Please add .Cr3 support - this is Canon's RAW format for the mirrorless line (EOSR, EOSRP etc)

Thanks,
S.

2019-04-08 12:08:08

I have a Sony , with a mirro.

2019-04-08 17:47:13

Hey gang, the list of supported digital camera RAW formats in both iOS 12 and macOS Mojave can be found here:

https://support.apple.com/HT208967

If there's anything that's not opening, it's most likely down to not being on that list. But if you have any specific images you can share with us, that's always very much appreciated. You can either share them here or, if you'd rather not do so publicly, email us at support@pixelmator.com.

2019-04-09 04:48:15

Canon Cr3 is supported in Mojave. I just upgraded and it works fine.

Thanks,
- Sandeep

2019-04-11 14:56:41

Ah, that's great to hear! :muscle: