Refine selection in PP 2.3?

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2021-11-23 18:54:41

Hi,

congratulations on the release of PP 2.3! But.. where is the old Refine selection? I used to make a selection, click Refine button, and use Expand slider, and it was very convenient for my workflow. Has the feature move somewhere else in the interface?

Thanks!

2021-11-23 18:55:38

Answering my own question - the feature is now inside the "Select and Mask..." button.

2021-11-24 09:16:00

by Vladstudio Answering my own question - the feature is now inside the "Select and Mask..." button.
Thanks a lot, Vlad! :pray: Yep, since we've revamped the Refine Selection tool and added some new settings for output, we thought a new and a bit more fitting name would make sense, too. By the way, if you've already had the chance to poke around the new features and happen to have any feedback — we'd love to hear it!

2021-11-24 09:21:09

Aurelija, I mostly use Pixelmator Pro for drawing, so removing backgrounds from photos is not something I personally use a lot :-) Thanks!

2021-11-24 11:09:46

by Vladstudio 2021-11-24 07:21:09 Aurelija, I mostly use Pixelmator Pro for drawing, so removing backgrounds from photos is not something I personally use a lot :-) Thanks!
Makes sense! :)

2021-12-11 15:44:18

Hi, I used to rely on the refine slider too and am really struggling with the new 'Select and Mask..." options. Could anyone advise me on how I would perform these steps using the new format in 2.3, please?

Edit > Select all
Edit > Refine Selection
Shape Roundness to 20% > Apply
Edit > Invert selection
Edit > Cut
Edit > Deselect all

The aim is simply to round off the corners on my images.

2021-12-11 22:39:05

I guess it´s pretty simple:
1. Open your image
2. Draw a rounded rectangle with any color fill, adjust roundness and drag it beneath your image in "Layers"
3. Now select image in "Layers" and make a context-click (ctrl-click or right mouse button click) and tell "Create Clipping Mask" - done

2021-12-15 09:55:13

by Tom_TFT 2021-12-11 13:44:18 Hi, I used to rely on the refine slider too and am really struggling with the new 'Select and Mask..." options. Could anyone advise me on how I would perform these steps using the new format in 2.3, please?

Edit > Select all
Edit > Refine Selection
Shape Roundness to 20% > Apply
Edit > Invert selection
Edit > Cut
Edit > Deselect all

The aim is simply to round off the corners on my images.
Select and Mask shouldn't really change this workflow much (perhaps even speed it up a little) as it's basically the same Refine Selection tool. :) So it would go as follows:

Edit > Select all
Edit > Select and Mask
Set Roundness to 20% and click Invert Selection
Edit > Cut
Edit > Deselect all

Just one key thing to keep in mind — make sure the Output of Select and Mask is set to "Selection" before you click Apply.
Hope that helps!