Exterior Home Design Question

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2021-04-08 23:26:49

I'm new to Pixelmator Pro and am struggling with a few basics (perhaps I used GIMP too long). I have a picture of a house and I want to replace the stone with a wood pattern. Sounds simple. I created my selection of just the stone and copied it into a layer. I want to be able to adjust the pattern numerous times until I like the look.

I have a layer comprised of wood siding. Not sure if this helps. I wanted to place the wood siding pattern into the rock selection/layer. Any ideas?

2021-04-09 08:07:32

Hey there. I'm sure there are other ways to do it but I'd probably make use of a simple layer mask here. Here are the steps:

1. On the Background Layer (you can also duplicate it if you want), select and invert the selection of the stone pattern (Edit > Invert Selection).
2. Then, Control-click the Background Layer and choose Add Mask. The selected area of an image will now become transparent.
3. Drag the wood pattern below the Background Layer and move it into position. You can temporarily turn off Auto Select to make the positioning of this layer easier.

And that's about it for the pattern replacement part. Next, come the additional adjustments and touch-ups that will most likely be needed to make the pattern blend seamlessly with the rest of the image.

Hope that helps!