Select area of photo, enlarge and overlay it onto same photo

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2021-02-21 00:05:12

New to community, not to photography. I have used Irfanview (Ancient, loved Windows photo viewer/editor program) for like twenty years for my work. In Irfanview it is very simple to select a rectangular DETAIL area of a photo, copy it, then create another LARGER rectangular selection elsewhere on the photos and then paste the copied detail into the larger area. Easier to do than explain. I also use "Irfanview" to overlay an EXIF date-time stamp onto the image.

Then I save the photo. When I bring it in again, it is all one pixel map...one image, no layers.

Since I switched to Mac OS several years ago, I have used "Parallels Desktop" at $99.99 per year licensing, to run Windows 10 on my Mac Mini...only, and merely, to run "Irfanview" and do the above capture-paste I've been trying on and off to do those two things on MacOS with miserable success. I now use a Macbook Pro with the M1 chip, (won't run Parallels...yet except as a beta).

I have the Mac app, "BatchPhoto" to do date-time stamping, and "XnViewMP" seems to work for the pasting of a detail-capture into the same image (larger), but I haven't mastered it yet, only succeeding twice. "Pixelmator Pro" is what I'd like to use for both these functions (I've asked Mac geeks in Mac forums to name an editor app with an EXIF date-time stamper, but I seem to be the only one in world....etc.... Help!
I've tried copying a rectangular detail area with "Pixelmator Pro", but can't paste it back into that larger rectangular area.

2021-02-21 06:18:24

Use the rectangle tool to select a rectangle. Deselect the rectangle (click outside the area). Paste the rectangle. Use the Arrange tool (top of the list) and paste. The paste creates a new layer. Move the rectangle to where you want the selection. Select a corner of this pasted rectangle and pull to expand it. Export the image. Hmm. There must be a flatten option somewhere but didn't find it just now. Export as png flattened the file. Maybe as a jpg as well?

2021-02-24 14:35:09

In Irfanview it is very simple to select a rectangular DETAIL area of a photo, copy it, then create another LARGER rectangular selection elsewhere on the photos and then paste the copied detail into the larger area. Easier to do than explain.
A sample image of the end result would probably help here. Perhaps it's possible to achieve the same result using a slightly different workflow in Pixelmator Pro. :thinking:

There isn't currently a feature in Pixelmator Pro that would let you date-stamp your images — you'd need to copy and paste the required metadata to a new text layer. If you're familiar with scripting, though, you might be able to set up an AppleScript workflow that does this for you automatically.

2021-03-13 15:55:04

I am new and older. This is all too complex and tech expert to follow. I simply wanted to copy an area of the back ground of a photo then reverse paste in in another spot. Still now clue how to do that.
Simple step-wise help?

2021-03-15 14:37:58

by Susanne 2021-03-13 13:55:04 I am new and older. This is all too complex and tech expert to follow. I simply wanted to copy an area of the back ground of a photo then reverse paste in in another spot. Still now clue how to do that.
Simple step-wise help?
If you're looking for a more in-depth tutorial that will explain the basics of selecting, copying, and pasting objects, you can find one here, but in short, you should be able to accomplish this in 4 simple steps:

1. Select the object you'd like to copy
2. Control-click inside the selection and choose "Copy and Paste as Layer" in the menu that appears
3. Press Command + D on your keyboard to deselect
4. Use the Arrange tool to move and flip the duplicated object

Hope that helps!

2024-01-20 01:23:49

simply want to know if Pixelmator ENLARGES images ie photos? Many apps say they RESIZE but when you read the fine print they only reduce size, not enlarge it..

2024-01-22 16:13:25

To resize an entire photo image -> Super Resolution works very well. To enlarge a portion of a photo is a bit more difficult to do.

If I had to do this (as the original post wanted) I would probably use 2 different windows/tabs both starting with the same image. One of them for a super resolution to enlarge the image as needed. Then rectangular/circular select and copy the selection to the clipboard - go to the other window/tab and paste from the clipboard and arrange the new layer it creates as desired.

untested - testing - Yeah that works ( I did super resolution twice - not necessary 'cause I still had to shrink the pasted image a LOT.)