Can you build a database in Pixelmator pro like in Aperture/Apple photos?

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2021-01-10 15:41:33

Hi, I am a new Pixelmator Pro user. I was used to finding all imported photos inside the photo editor app like in Aperture/Apple photos. I haven't figured out how to do the same with PP, if it is possible at all...
Could anyone shed some light on this? Or what is your method for keeping a structure system with PP?

2021-01-10 19:21:26

Sometimes we want a program to do everything, but Pixelmator's proposal was never to be a photo editor in the Lightroom / Aperture style. You can sync your edits to the cloud, but stop there. Pixelmator Pro is a Photoshop-type image editor, with very interesting graphic features!

2021-01-11 13:02:00

J2323, almost the entire Pixelmator Pro app is available as an extension in Photos, so while it doesn't offer a custom file manager itself, Pro allows you to take full advantage of the system available in Photos.

2021-01-23 22:50:52

by Aurelija 2021-01-11 12:02:00 J2323, almost the entire Pixelmator Pro app is available as an extension in Photos, so while it doesn't offer a custom file manager itself, Pro allows you to take full advantage of the system available in Photos.
Thanks, I took notice of that. But I found that, after a photo is edited by Pixelmator Pro and saved back to Photos, all the "edited states" are not saved in either Pixelmator Pro or Photos. If I want to switch to PP to make more changes, I will not be able to see the previously edited parameters. Is there a way to preserve the edits made in PP, while I use it as an extension?

2021-01-24 13:17:36

by J2323
If I want to switch to PP to make more changes, I will not be able to see the previously edited parameters. Is there a way to preserve the edits made in PP, while I use it as an extension?
Well that's not quite the case I think.
First of all, did you set the preferences in PP to keep track of the edits and where to save them ?

Secondly ( as a limitation of Photo's) if you, after you saved the edits back to Photo's, make an edit, crop or what so ever in Photo's the previous edits will be baked in, so if you then re-open in PP, all the edits are already applied, and you lost the history.
If you however don't make any modifications in Photo's, but simply re-open in PP, you can continue making edits were you left off..

This article explains in great detail how Photo's interact with extensions.

HtH
Ben