Sketch Similar to Pixelmator Classic

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2020-11-28 20:36:24

In Pixelmator classic, there was a filter which would outline the objects in black; it would have adjustable parameters, but the spaces where there was no outline would be TRANSPARENT. I haven't been able to duplicate this effect in the pro version. Is there any way?

2020-12-01 15:19:02

The Sketch effect isn't available in Pixelmator Pro but it's something we'd like to bring back as it was quite popular – the trouble is with making the effect nondestructive. But we'll see what we can do.

As for a way of duplicating the effect, you could try to get something with a combination of the Color Controls, Threshold, and Mask to Alpha effects. Here's a quick attempt that won't get you there but looks OK (maybe even better than the Sketch effect in some images) and might inspire you to try some stuff:

http://upload-cdn.pixelmator.com/Sketch.effects.zip

2020-12-01 19:57:24

Thanks Andrius!
Those effects are pretty close in some cases. I will study the construction; I expect I will learn a lot more about using masking from them.

2020-12-02 12:13:57

Happy to help! Let me know if you get close to a result you like. :wink:

2021-03-08 22:57:42

Hi Andrius. I used to use this method to have an outline of my image for sketching:(similar in photoshop & Affinity photo) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AesJUS2yO2c
Unfortunately following the latest upgrade to version 2.0.6, I am no longer able to use that method.

This is an example of the result I used to get with Pixelmator Pro on version 2.0.5 (image & sketch attached). What happened?

Thank you

Image: Image
Sketch: Image

2021-03-09 11:01:08

by Mohamed Unfortunately following the latest upgrade to version 2.0.6, I am no longer able to use that method.

This is an example of the result I used to get with Pixelmator Pro on version 2.0.5 (image & sketch attached). What happened?
Perhaps you could also share what result you're getting now, after following all the steps?

2021-03-09 18:49:54

Hi Aurelija.

These are the results following the three steps:

Step 1 setting blending mode to "colour dodge"
Image Did not show any difference

Step 2 Colour Adjustment "Invert colour"
in the past the image on the canvas would almost disapper - not now

Step 3 Effects "Gaussian Blur"
In the past, setting Gaussian blur to 5-10 pixels would make the sketch reappear and the edges would be sharp not blurred.

Hope this helps

Mohamed

2021-03-10 14:48:17

Hi Mohamed, it looks like you might've forgotten to duplicate the original layer? I get the result you get with a single layer in the document, but the correct result when duplicating before changing the blending settings of the upper layer.

2021-03-10 15:48:19

Andrius , You and Aurelija are a life savers, and brilliant to boot. Thank you.