Version 2.0

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2020-11-19 18:12:34

Hmm.

Confess to being a little disappointed with version 2.0.

In terms of functionality, in my opinion, the latest upgrade has turned the clock back a little.

I admit to liking how the presets were accessed in 1.8.

It feels like a throwback to Pixelmator.

It's still great software and it's my go to for photo editing as a hobbyist, but as above, version 2.0 seems like change for changes sake.

I can now see the benefit of adjustment layers when photo editing and I don't know how difficult this is to achieve as I'm not a technician (defo a user), but it would be a great addition (as would an edit history feature).

Anyhoo, can't please everyone!

2020-11-26 15:40:02

Hey there, thanks for sharing your feedback! The presets thing I think we could argue about a lot, but the old system had major problems – shifting/inconsistent UI due to different sizes of presets for different tools, lots of space taken up, no easy way to have separate collections, etc.

As for adjustment layers, we've been making internal changes for them for a while now and I believe we're getting closer to being able to work on the feature itself, which is pretty big!

If there's anything else you used to prefer in pre-2.0, let me know, and I'll pass on your feedback.

P.S. It should also be said that Pixelmator Pro has been around for 3 years now and that's more than enough time to get familiar with stuff and grow fond of it, at which point big changes can be jarring, even if they might be better in the long run. I'm not saying that that's definitely the case here, but it's a possibility. :wink:

2020-11-26 17:34:13

Fair comment.

Familiarity often breeds contempt.

I’ll stick by my guns as far as the presets were concerned. I liked the layout.

Good news on possible adjustment layers. This would be a major addition and help enormously.

I do think that PP gets compared unfairly to PS; my view is that if you want PS then use PS!!!

I’m a PP fanboy.

2020-11-27 09:49:17

by bogheadben I’m a PP fanboy.
I... uh... I don't think we thought through the acronym... :sweat_smile:

2020-12-02 00:04:42

I am beyond ecstatic to hear that adjustment layers are coming sooner than later - it's literally the only feature that makes me want to use any other photo editing app. I've been using the kludgy workaround of putting them into a folder up to this point, and will be so happy when this finally makes an appearance. As far as the new UI with presets, I'm a big fan - the constant shifting with the resizes drove me a little crazy.