everything sucks - color fill, selection, mask

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2020-10-24 14:07:45

I tried pixlemator 3.9 , am experienced photo app user. Liked what I saw, went to buy license, saw the deal on Pixelmator Pro, and thought "great". Nothing makes sense or works correctly. first thing I noticed is all the tools are on the right instead of the left. big fucking deal, who cares, why change that? Next, try using select tool and then filling with a color. unh uh. does not work logically. program sucks. you can select color fill tool, but you can't apply it. I was successful a few times, but its not straight forward. changing a pen path to a selection. nope. have to deal with Mask function. NOT INTUITIVE. NOT INTUITIVE

2020-10-25 16:07:37

steve_mean

You must have gotten up on the wrong side of the bed.

2020-10-27 14:47:16

by steve_mean 2020-10-24 11:07:45 I tried pixlemator 3.9 , am experienced photo app user. Liked what I saw, went to buy license, saw the deal on Pixelmator Pro, and thought "great". Nothing makes sense or works correctly. first thing I noticed is all the tools are on the right instead of the left. big fucking deal, who cares, why change that? Next, try using select tool and then filling with a color. unh uh. does not work logically. program sucks. you can select color fill tool, but you can't apply it. I was successful a few times, but its not straight forward. changing a pen path to a selection. nope. have to deal with Mask function. NOT INTUITIVE. NOT INTUITIVE
I understand that you're not finding the app straightforward. That's a shame, we've worked hard to make it as straightforward as possible, though that doesn't mean we don't think improvements can't be made. To fill a selection with a color, you can choose the Color Fill tool, then click and drag in the selected area of your image to fill it. Thinking about, it might make sense to add a Fill Selection button to the Color fill tool so you don't necessarily have to drag in the image, we do have some space there after all.

As for changin a pen path to a selection — there isn't a dedicated feature for that, but if you set the fill of the path to a fully opaque color (the Reset Style button in the Style tool will do that), you can choose Edit > Load Selection to load the outline of the layer as a selection. Or, even quicker would be to Command-click the thumbnail of the layer after resetting its style.

If there's anything else you need help with, let me know and I'll help out.