Interested in making a, for lack of a better phrase, line image.

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2020-08-24 17:11:23

Hi there,

I have been using Pixelmator for a while now and really like how it works. I am interested in creating an image that resembles something like the image below. What tool would be the best option for this?

I am looking to create other similar images as well such as this one...

What would you all suggest as the best approach? I've seen a youtube video using Illustrator which looks to use a blend method that steps the lines in increments to create the final image.

How would Pixelmator Pro accomplish the same outcome?

Thanks in advance.

Mark.

2020-08-27 14:34:04

I guess you're looking for more of an automated way to approach this — if so, I'm afraid there's not much I can suggest at this time and you'd probably have to draw the lines manually. If you have a link to the tutorial though, feel free to share it and we can think about how you might be able to get something similar with Pixelmator Pro.

2020-08-27 14:55:15

Hi Andrius,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. A link to the tutorial is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnCe2ZBS9EA

It's not the best audio but you get the idea of what's happening. Its a relatively simple pattern compared to the above examples I gave but again, you can see how you could modify the tutorial to create something similar.

Kind regards,
Mark.

2020-08-27 14:57:32

I've not watched all of this one but it does seem a better guide...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWVqniNHHVM

It would be great to see some of this being added to Pixelmator Pro if it isn't in there already.

Thanks again,
Mark.

2020-08-28 12:19:39

Thanks for the links to the videos! There isn't a feature like this in Pixelmator Pro, so something like this would generally have to be done manually. Using the upcoming AppleScript support in Pixelmator Pro, you could create a somewhat similar result by duplicating line shapes and slightly shifting/rotating them. Though that's not quite the same as blending, it would get you a somewhat similar effect. Anyway, I threw a script together quite quickly and there there are things that can be improved and optimized (plus, I'm neither a programmer nor exactly an AppleScript guru – at least not yet, so it might be a little rough :smile:), but here's what it does:

Here's a link to download that script:

http://upload-cdn.pixelmator.com/Pixelm ... Lines.scpt

2020-08-28 12:25:36

Hi Andrius,

Thanks for taking the time to create the script as well as the video showing what it would create. It's most appreciated. I hope that you enjoyed working on it though. :)

I will take a look at the script and see what else I can achieve and believe me, you are better at the Applescripting than I will be!

Kind regards,
Mark.

2020-08-28 13:29:06

by Mark Nicholls 2020-08-28 09:25:36 Thanks for taking the time to create the script as well as the video showing what it would create. It's most appreciated. I hope that you enjoyed working on it though. :)
Mark.
It was quite fun, I must admit. :smile: But it's also a little overly complex and quite possibly redundant in certain areas — I tried to make it work with multiple selected layers, and then group each group of lines at the end, which is totally not necessary, I just got a little carried away...