Keeping the original photo

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2020-03-21 11:33:04

Hi, I am new to Pixelmator Pro and I am finding my way around. Great product so far, loving the repair function.

Is it possible to keep the original photo enacted and unedited, work on a copy or another version for example and save the edits to that copy. I have tried creating a copy in mac photos but when I edit the copied image it also edits the original / master version. I don't think exporting the photo helped me either.

Thanks

2020-03-23 10:46:53

Hi Becs, the steps you should use depend mostly on how you want to organize your workflow. So could you answer a few questions for me:

1. Where do you open images from? I.e. from a folder on your Mac, directly from the Photos app (using the Edit With feature), or from Photos using the File > New from Photos option?
2. Do you want the unedited version to be a separate image? Or would you like to have the ability to overwrite the original image but have the ability to revert to the original?

2020-03-23 13:51:53

Hi Andrius, thanks for getting back to me.

In response:-

1. I mainly open my images from the photos app on my mac by selecting the photo I want to edit and pressing command and enter (shortcut). There are times, but not often, I do open them from a folder (documents / finder).

2. I would like to overwrite the original image but have the ability please to revert to the original.

2020-03-23 14:06:27

OK, in that case, if you opened the image by pressing the Command-Enter keyboard shortcut, you can choose File > Save in Pixelmator Pro after you've finished editing. Then, in the Photos app, if you'd like to revert to the original image, you can choose Image > Revert to Original from the Image menu at the top of your screen.

You can also Control-click the image in the Photos app and choose Revert to Original.

Hope that helps!

2020-03-23 21:06:51

Thanks for the advice. Would you be able to let me know the bets way if I did want to keep an unedited version as a separate image?

2020-03-24 14:26:29

Sure! To do this, after editing, I'd probably choose File > Share > Add to Photos. That will save a separate edited image in your library, leaving the original intact.

2020-03-25 19:16:27

Great I'll give it a try many thanks :smiley:

2020-03-25 20:07:20

Hi, I tried the option to File - share - add to photos after editing and it still overwrites the original? I can revert to the original but it removes all editing. Any ideas? thanks

2020-03-26 09:56:10

by Becs Hi, I tried the option to File - share - add to photos after editing and it still overwrites the original? I can revert to the original but it removes all editing. Any ideas? thanks
It certainly shouldn't overwrite the original, Add to Photos should add a completely new image to your library. I've just double-checked to make sure everything is working on my end and I can confirm that it is. Are you 100% sure that feature overwrites the original? Is it possible you're accidentally clicking File > Save, in addition to File > Share > Add to Photos?

2020-04-03 20:19:15

Hi, I must say I'm having a hard time understanding what's the best workflow with Pixelmator and Photos … First off, I've chosen in Pixlemator settings to keep a copy on iCloud when working with the Photos extension (which works).

However, if, for example, I open a file with command and enter, add a layer and choose save the layer is gone when I open the file with command and enter again. I may still revert to the original version in Photos like described above, but it's not quite a nondestructive workflow.

Different from that all layers are kept if I choose edit in Photos and then open the picture via the extension in editing mode. The downside is the missing menu bar and limited capabilites (?) when work the "extension way".

So, why there are two different approaches to edit images in Pixelmator via Photos and why is only the "extension way" fully nondestructive in that it keeps all layers etc.? I really don't get the rationale behind this.

Thanks for clarifying.

2020-04-06 12:06:52

by Totoff 2020-04-03 20:19:15 Hi, I must say I'm having a hard time understanding what's the best workflow with Pixelmator and Photos … First off, I've chosen in Pixlemator settings to keep a copy on iCloud when working with the Photos extension (which works).

However, if, for example, I open a file with command and enter, add a layer and choose save the layer is gone when I open the file with command and enter again. I may still revert to the original version in Photos like described above, but it's not quite a nondestructive workflow.

Different from that all layers are kept if I choose edit in Photos and then open the picture via the extension in editing mode. The downside is the missing menu bar and limited capabilites (?) when work the "extension way".

So, why there are two different approaches to edit images in Pixelmator via Photos and why is only the "extension way" fully nondestructive in that it keeps all layers etc.? I really don't get the rationale behind this.

Thanks for clarifying.
The different approaches exist purely because both are supported by Photos but they each have somewhat different limitations which are, again, set by the Photos app. In the extension, we cannot display our toolbar and, when opened as an external editor, we cannot save nondestructive changes to Photos. If we could, we most certainly would do both!

2020-04-22 02:35:42

I have been trying to determine the best workflow to use for image post processing. All my images are for personal use so I am not looking at a workflow that would see me benefiting from the sale of my images. I shoot RAW only and have until recently been using Finder on my Mac to review the RAW images and deciding which ones are worth importing into the Photos app which I use as my image management software. Having done that I would then use either Pixelmator Pro or Pixelmator Photo to undertake any post processing I desired. The choice of application would depend on the level of post processing I required. The downside of this process is the initial image filtering process for viewing RAW images one by one using Finder is tedious and slow.
Recently I have started using Pixelmator Photo to view the images in a source iCloud drive to review and initially rate the images using the thumbnails which show up a bit like a contact sheet so that I can filter out the images that are potential keepers and ones that are rejects.
Whilst this process works, it is not good when you have two similar images of equal quality that require side by side comparison. Hence for these images I now use Pixelmator Pro to view the images in separate tabs. Once I have weeded out the images I don't think I will use I then import the images into the Photos app and from there use either Pixelmator Photo or Pixelmator Pro to undertake post processing before saving the processed image back to Photos. The reason for using the Photos app as my storage of the unprocessed images is that in addition to the offline back up of the original images I have a cloud back up of the images both processed (non destructive) and unprocessed, still waiting for some post processing. My question is, is there a better or more efficient workflow I could be using to achieve the same result? The other question is the ability to view multiple images on a drive in a contact sheet like view being considered for Pixelmator Pro which also provides the ability to use the OS/IOS file colour tag feature as I currently do using Pixelmator Photo? The reason for this feature is it would make viewing the thumbnails for initial culling better on a large screen as opposed to the smaller iPad screen.

2020-04-22 07:00:08

@Johne Sorting before import doesn't make sense to me. I do it the other way round: import everything into photos app, sort in app, delete unwanted images, done.

2020-04-22 07:13:16

by Totoff 2020-04-22 07:01:29 @Johne Sorting before import doesn't make sense to me. I do it the other way round: import everything into photos app, sort in app, delete unwanted images, done.
This is my preferred workflow too.

I use the ‘favourite’ option to signify my keepers, create an album or folder and put them there and then delete the rest. Before quitting Photos I de-select the images I have designated as a favourite, ready for the next session.

(I also back up each card I use for each shoot prior to starting with Photos (just something I do).

I think for professional TOGs, the Mac’s native Photos app may not be fit for purpose as a proper DAM, but for me as hobbyist/enthusiast it works just fine. With smart albums and keyword locator it’s a great tool.

PP comes into play when I’m ready to edit.

By the way, the editor that is within Photos is decent too and allied to PP gives me what I need for 99% of my images.

2020-04-22 08:47:18

Thanks for your responses one of the reasons I have tried moving away from directly import all my images into the Photos app first is that I have discovered a bug in the Photos app software that doesn't seem to affect all users. The bug manifest itself by reinstating images deleted that have either been permanently deleted after the 30 days or permanently deleted by deleting them in the deleted items folder in the app. The images that returned are always with a long alphanumeric file name and may reappear months later. The problem is more pronounced after an OS software update.

2020-04-22 09:51:48

by JohneChambers 2020-04-22 08:47:18 Thanks for your responses one of the reasons I have tried moving away from directly import all my images into the Photos app first is that I have discovered a bug in the Photos app software that doesn't seem to affect all users. The bug manifest itself by reinstating images deleted that have either been permanently deleted after the 30 days or permanently deleted by deleting them in the deleted items folder in the app. The images that returned are always with a long alphanumeric file name and may reappear months later. The problem is more pronounced after an OS software update.
Hi John, ach, that must be a pain.

I'm still using Mojave; I refuse to 'upgrade' to Catalina given all the anecdotal feedback about the problems people are experiencing.

2020-04-22 14:25:46

by JohneChambers 2020-04-22 02:35:42 My question is, is there a better or more efficient workflow I could be using to achieve the same result? The other question is the ability to view multiple images on a drive in a contact sheet like view being considered for Pixelmator Pro which also provides the ability to use the OS/IOS file colour tag feature as I currently do using Pixelmator Photo? The reason for this feature is it would make viewing the thumbnails for initial culling better on a large screen as opposed to the smaller iPad screen.
I'd say for your preferred workflow (importing only 'keepers' to Photos), your current method is most likely to be the most efficient. We do plan to, eventually, bring Pixelmator Photo to macOS so if/when that happens, you could probably replicate your iPad workflow on macOS. A word of warning — we're currently working on other things and have a few big updates to release before we can start this so it will take a while. :pray:

2020-04-22 22:16:24

Thanks for your response. One what may seem a simple update but nothing is always simple is along with "list", "column" and "icon" view would be to provide the native OS "gallery" view when open files from storage media in Pixelmator Pro as is available in Finder. Alternative provide the ability to change the view options as is available in Finder.