Pixelmator Pro / Pixelmator Pro Upgrade Bundle?

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2020-01-08 17:35:40

The Pixelmator Pro Upgrade Bundle costs more than Pixelmator Pro itself. What is the advantage of the upgrade bundle?

2020-01-08 19:33:44

First I say is this company sucks. Nothing makes sense and you trying to figure it out is an inside joke being played on you by the company. They never ever admit a mistake and will continue to take any monies they can while leaving us on these boards. So, pull up your pants, get another app and get to work, because if you wait for this company, you will never get anything done.

2020-01-08 20:38:24

@kal That is the exact opposite of my experience.

@Thomas This comes up every few weeks or so. Here's the answer as I understand it. Apple doesn't offer upgrade pricing so the Pixelmator team have used the bundle functionality to do something similar. The two apps are offered for purchase together at less than the price of the two separately. You can then use 'complete my bundle' function to buy to app you are missing, effectively at a discount.
The thing is, the discount off the bundle price is calculated by what *you* payed for Pixelmator, not what it costs right now. So if you bought Pixelmator while it was on sale, the app store will take less off the purchase price and your complete-my-bundle price for Pixelmator Pro will end up being more, for some more than the bare purchase price for Pixelmator Pro. It's messy, but there it is.
This forum has a good presence by the people at Pixelmator but, if you want to guarantee a response from the company rather than the community, I'd recommend dropping an email to support@pixelmator.com.
Hope this helps.
- Stef.

2020-01-08 20:48:19

by st3f 2020-01-08 20:39:59 @kal That is the exact opposite of my experience.

@Thomas This comes up every few weeks or so. Here's the answer as I understand it. Apple doesn't offer upgrade pricing so the Pixelmator team have used the bundle functionality to do something similar. The two apps are offered for purchase together at less than the price of the two separately. You can then use 'complete my bundle' function to buy to app you are missing, effectively at a discount.
The thing is, the discount off the bundle price is calculated by what *you* payed for Pixelmator, not what it costs right now. So if you bought Pixelmator while it was on sale, the app store will take less off the purchase price and your complete-my-bundle price for Pixelmator Pro will end up being more, for some more than the bare purchase price for Pixelmator Pro. It's messy, but there it is.
This forum has a good presence by the people at Pixelmator but, if you want to guarantee a response from the company rather than the community, I'd recommend dropping an email to support@pixelmator.com.
Hope this helps.
- Stef.
Thanks for the info!

2020-01-09 08:46:06

Stef covered almost everything there but one more important detail — and the reason why the bundle would be more expensive to some — is exchange rate fluctuations. We set the bundle price to make sure that even people who got the app on sale would get at least a small discount. The bundle price is US$49.99 and the lowest price of Pixelmator was US$14.99. US$49.99-US$14.99=US$35 which is a $5 discount from the usual price. However, in some App Store regions (Canada, for example), the changes in exchange rate vs USD made apps more expensive, at least in absolute terms. So someone in Canada would've paid CAN$14.99 when USD-CAD was a 1 to 1 exchange, but now the bundle is CAN$69.99 total and CAN$55 for someone who got Pixelmator at CAN$14.99, while the Pixelmator Pro app is CAN$54.99.

The bundle system is far from perfect for upgrades (and there are a few pesky bugs) but it's the only thing we can offer right now and, hey, maybe there will be some improvements to it in the future.

Oh, and if there's a big difference in price, then the App Store most likely isn't registering your original Pixelmator purchase, maybe because it was made with a different ID or because you changed your Apple ID region.

2020-01-09 09:52:04

by Andrius 2020-01-09 08:46:06 Stef covered almost everything there but one more important detail — and the reason why the bundle would be more expensive to some — is exchange rate fluctuations. We set the bundle price to make sure that even people who got the app on sale would get at least a small discount. The bundle price is US$49.99 and the lowest price of Pixelmator was US$14.99. US$49.99-US$14.99=US$35 which is a $5 discount from the usual price. However, in some App Store regions (Canada, for example), the changes in exchange rate vs USD made apps more expensive, at least in absolute terms. So someone in Canada would've paid CAN$14.99 when USD-CAD was a 1 to 1 exchange, but now the bundle is CAN$69.99 total and CAN$55 for someone who got Pixelmator at CAN$14.99, while the Pixelmator Pro app is CAN$54.99.

The bundle system is far from perfect for upgrades (and there are a few pesky bugs) but it's the only thing we can offer right now and, hey, maybe there will be some improvements to it in the future.

Oh, and if there's a big difference in price, then the App Store most likely isn't registering your original Pixelmator purchase, maybe because it was made with a different ID or because you changed your Apple ID region.
Thanks for your reply! The difference isn't that big, it just didn't seem quite logical that the upgrade bundle would be more expensive.

2020-01-09 09:58:42

by Thomas Kyhn 2020-01-09 06:53:30 it just didn't seem quite logical that the upgrade bundle would be more expensive.
100% with you on that one!