Mode for pen tool

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2018-10-15 13:43:08

In pixelmator when tracing an object I could set the mode for the pen tool so all the tracing was contained in one layer. Where is the mode for pen tool in pixelmator pro?

2018-10-16 10:55:14

If I'm not mistaken, the behavior you're referring to was a mostly unintended side effect of the way vectors worked in the original Pixelmator — they'd get combined automatically, there wouldn't really be a way to separate them, and so on.

In Pixelmator Pro, you have much more control. Say you're tracing an object, you can trace different parts of the same object as different vector layers. Then, when you want to combine them, you can select them all in the Layers sidebar and choose Unite Shapes. When you do this, a shape 'group' will be created, similar to a group layer, but you'll be able to add custom layer styles to the group and it will behave as one shape, although each of its components will stay separate, accessible, and editable. And if you'd like a single shape, you can Control-click that newly united shape (in the Layers sidebar) and choose Merge Shape Componenets.

Hope that helps!

2018-10-16 11:52:56

I shall give it a try.

For people like me with limited vision, colours in the Tool bar and being able to increase Tool bar tex sixe would be useful
Sorry not able to set my own options in tool bar using preferences.

I have used Pixelmator for 2 years and very pleased wit it, as I am 73 perhaps adjusting to change takes time.

2018-10-17 08:33:12

No problem, if you have any trouble with the instructions above, feel free to let me know and I can provide more detailed steps (with images)!