Vectormator - Stand-alone editor: Is it not included in Pro?

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2017-11-30 10:57:39

Hi, I would like to know if the upcoming Vectormator stand-alone editor will be included in Pixelmator Pro?
It would be very frustrating to find out that such a huge and important feature would require another purchase.

I won't buy until I know this.

Thanks in advance for the responce.

2017-11-30 14:51:23

+1

2017-12-01 02:35:44

+1

2017-12-07 04:43:31

It'll be another standalone app.. The Mac App Store does not allow 2 apps to be bundled together.

2017-12-11 15:47:06

I think they mentioned it would would be added later on inside Pro like they had on the original Pixelmator.

2017-12-11 17:53:50

Vectormater is not an app inside Pixelmator Pro nor was it an app inside Pixelmator Classic. What Pixelmator Classic has is something called Vectormator mode. This is noghting more than a change of the UI where only the only tools presented to the user are vector tools. These tools were also available in Pixelmator Classic in normal mode. Pixelmator Pro doesn't have this Vectormator mode, but has the same vector / shape tools available as in Pixelmator Classic. So the vector capabilities between Pixelmator Classic and Pixelmator Pro are basically the same.

Pixelmator only supported vector work inside the app and it's own image format. However all vector work gets converted to Pixel / bitmap work on the fly and on exporting to other image formats. When we refer to Vectormator as a stand alone app then it is about a completely new app that focusses on vector work, drawing, designing etc. This means that vectors will remain vectors inside and outside of this new app with all the positive characteristics of vector images.

So in short Pixelmator works with pixels and even if it has vector style tools. The resulting images are pixel images. Vectormator will work with vectors, though I'm sure one can import a bitmap image here and there too and will give vector images as a result.

2018-03-17 20:05:19

by Sebastiaan 2017-12-11 17:53:50 Vectormater is not an app inside Pixelmator Pro nor was it an app inside Pixelmator Classic. What Pixelmator Classic has is something called Vectormator mode. This is noghting more than a change of the UI where only the only tools presented to the user are vector tools. These tools were also available in Pixelmator Classic in normal mode. Pixelmator Pro doesn't have this Vectormator mode, but has the same vector / shape tools available as in Pixelmator Classic. So the vector capabilities between Pixelmator Classic and Pixelmator Pro are basically the same.

Pixelmator only supported vector work inside the app and it's own image format. However all vector work gets converted to Pixel / bitmap work on the fly and on exporting to other image formats. When we refer to Vectormator as a stand alone app then it is about a completely new app that focusses on vector work, drawing, designing etc. This means that vectors will remain vectors inside and outside of this new app with all the positive characteristics of vector images.

So in short Pixelmator works with pixels and even if it has vector style tools. The resulting images are pixel images. Vectormator will work with vectors, though I'm sure one can import a bitmap image here and there too and will give vector images as a result.
I’m ok with this. It’s like Photoshop and Illustrator are separate apps. They should be. They serve very different purposes with the parts that overlap already being in Pixelmator Pro.

Any idea on when we can expect this app? The need for a pro vector app keeps me tied into the Adobe subscription model which prevents me from switching to Pixelmator Pro full time since I get Photoshop essentially for free as a part of that subscription.

2018-03-21 09:08:43

it must be a separate app. No problem with this concept

2018-03-21 09:58:05

As ever, I can't make any promises or give you any ETAs, but I can say Vectormator is currently planned for a little further down the line. A few other things are currently higher up the order of priorities. 🙌

2018-05-28 19:56:08

Hi there, any news concerning Vectormator?

2018-05-30 18:09:32

Absolutely agree with the 2-app approach, and I personally am impressed with, and approve of this idea of Vectormator being further down the line. Taking on doing vectors well is a huge endeavor. The harder, more tedious, responsible, less glamorous, and proper thing to do is iterate Pro, smash bugs, and get in position to take that on first. I just wanted to advocate for these guys. Pro is only 6 months old. As much as I'd love Vectormator to drop tomorrow, clamoring for it might be creating pressure to deliver something less than we're hoping for. Keep up the awesome work.

2018-07-11 18:33:42

Affinity Designer just came out for iPad. I really really want to support Pixelmator, but not knowing the timeline for a vector app makes it hard to stand by Pixelmator. You're not Apple — secrecy doesn't work in your favour. Professionals need to be able to plan and Affinity Designer is available today for both macOS and now iOS. Please give us a timeline or risk seeing your customers walk over to the competition. Once we learn Affinity, we're not coming back and learning another app.

2018-07-12 14:54:46

The honest answer is that the timeline for a vector app is the long-term future — it's not the number 1 priority at the moment, although it's still in our overall plans. I know that must be disappointing to hear but, for now, we're focusing on improving Pixelmator Pro and finishing up Pixelmator Pro for iPad. There's a lot that still needs to be done. As Matthew rightly noted, it's just what we need to do right now.

2018-07-12 16:19:00

Thanks for the update Andrius! Pixelmator Pro for Mac and Pixelmator for iPad are my ‘go to’ apps so thanks for letting us know you are further developing and improving them. In the meantime, I’ve purchased Affinity Designer and Vectornator (unfortunately such a similar name to Vectormator) but more out of curiosity really. I’m looking forward to whatever Team Pixelmator is developing and expect everything will work well together in my professional workflow when ready.

2018-07-12 17:12:35

Thanks for being honest about it. I guess I'm going to pick up Affinity Designer for now and am looking forward to Pixelmator Pro for iPad. Any timeline for that? Next few months or longer?

2019-09-12 06:48:12

Thanks for focusing on pix pro. What improvements to Vector graphics can we expect in future updates, thanks?