Upgrade Cost of Pixelmator Pro from Pixelmator

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2017-09-07 19:13:09

The pages about Pixelmator Pro are very intriguing BUT there is no mention of the price. Any decisions on what it will cost - and if there will be an upgrade price for current (and long time) Pixelmator users?
Thanks - and good luck with the new product.
Steve

2017-10-03 07:01:55

Hi team,

I'd like to back that up.
As a new Mac owner I'm eager to do my editing on this platform and I like your message on the Pro.
However, your message atm is VERY mixed:
- Nice Pixelmator
- BUT there's a Pro around the corner, wait for that one
- BUT don't know when, what and how much ...
I know your perspective, having an eager commercial team and an anxious/very busy dev team bumping into each other.
However, try to look at it from our perspective, knowing there is also a lot moving in the competition (with photoshop plug ins on the side). You are burning your head-start and credit fast in this mixed communication...
So please, any transparency (even if that commits your technical team, so check off with them) is very much appreciated.

Regards,
Dirk

2017-10-03 09:47:30

I also have a question related to this.

I love the current Pixelmator app and it fills my needs perfectly so wether I would upgrade to Pro or not is not just up to the price but to what it would add to my toolbox and if I need it (though maybe just the new UI will force me to update ;) ). However there is no mentioning (that I can find) about what will happen to the standard Pixelmator? Is it still going to be updated or is Pixelmator Pro the future and what we have now is to be considered legacy just receiving maybe some minor patches?

Also loving the idea of a upgrade price but to my knowledge this is not supported by AppStore? Please prove me wrong :)

Thanks in advance
Hampus

2017-11-29 14:32:44

You have said there will be a discount price if upgrading from old Pixelmator to PRO but I cannot find how to get this discount? It's not offered in the App store from Apple

2017-11-29 17:36:12

It doesn't look as if there is an upgrade path to Pro for your current customers. If thats true very disappointing to the early adopters.

2017-11-29 17:46:34

I am wondering the same thing as above. What about your existing Pixelmator members. Discount??

2017-11-29 18:21:33

as pixelmator user, I am wondering too, what about an upgrade less costly.

2017-11-29 19:35:53

Upgrade/selective discount pricing isn't reallyavailable on the App Store so this isn't technically possible. That's one of the reasons why we picked $59 as an introductory price (as mentioned here:http://www.pixelmator.com/blog/2017/11/07/11-29/) instead of the $99 we originally intended to launch for.

The original Pixelmator isn't going anyhwere — although Pixelmator Pro is now our main focus, we plan to keep shipping updates to the original Pixelmator. And it's a great app! So you're free to keep using and loving it. :)

2017-11-29 19:45:39

Disappointed that you are not offering an upgrade discount to current users of Pixelmator

2017-11-29 19:47:05

If I read the logic right the current users are paying an additional $39 for pro than someone just purchasing it for the first time. Does this make sense to you?

2017-11-29 21:55:43

Agree, very disappointing. As to the App store not allowing 'discount pricing" why couldn't you just offer an "in app purchase" of the upgrade to pro in the original Pixelmator App for say $39??? This would allow you to keep your Pro price at $59 for new customers and throw us earlier supporters a bone.

2017-11-29 23:06:30

My .02 cents worth (.0155 USD) Disappointed as well.
1. Current owners have been looking forward to essential (competitive) improvements to Pixelmator and will now pay the same as new buyers. That does not encourage brand loyalty.
2. Surprised that the Canadian App store price is 84.99. That's about 10 bucks more than current exchange rate. Is that a Pixelmator or Apple decision?
Two good reasons for me to pass on this 'introductory' offer.

2017-11-30 17:32:06

The exhange rates are unfortunately something that is on Apples plate.

On a personal note. I'm sorry to see that existing Pixelmator users don't wish new Pixelmator users the same discount as an upgrade price. Do you really want to leave a good product behind only because you don't want others (in this case new users) to have any benefits? Other than it being somewhat hateful to a fellow human being I don't see any real problem in why there should be a difference in price for upgraders and new users. It's a bit like a couple of years back when Pixelmator 1 became Pixelamator 2 at the same time downloadable from the App Store. Some people were outraged that a major update had to be payed for. I think we should feel grateful that the team for once didn't follow Apple's visions and did not go for a subscription based license.

2017-12-01 14:31:42

I must say that I don't understand the previous comment. It's not a matter of "not wanting others to receive benefits" or "being hateful to a fellow human being." That's a bit over-the-top, and really not relevant. The fact is that current Pixelmator users - those of us who paid our hard-earned money for their app, which is quite pricey - helped build that business into the success that it is. If we didn't buy their app, they wouldn't exist. And paying to update an app that NEEDS to be updated in order to function, doesn't seem right to me; though if they offered an update for a small fee, I would pay it, just to keep the app current. (I understand that's not the issue here; just an example.)

Almost more importantly, WE are the ones who provide their good reviews in the App store and elsewhere, which helps bring in those "new users" who DO get to benefit from the new version... while we don't. That seems highly unfair. And putting the blame entirely on Apple - who DOES seem to permit paid updates for other apps, does it not, or am I mistaken about that? - does not make sense. Pixelmator could offer that update on their website, correct? They could make some more money from us current users, rather than lose them outright.

I'm personally considering looking into other options that would reward my business, not punish me for it. I would pay a reasonable price for a major update - but I'm not certainly going to pay MORE than I paid for the original app, just to update it. That's just not fair. And in my opinion, that's bad business.

2017-12-01 17:34:40

Thanks for keeping Pixelmator Pro reasonably priced at $60. As a current user that has followed Pixelmator’s progress it’s exciting to see a Photoshop replacement for such a low price. Amazing!

I love how Pixelmator Pro mirrors the look of Pixelmator for iOS. I have been using regular Pixelmator with Pixelmator iOS for the past year. Now the look is more cohesive and cool.

About three years ago I purchased Pixelmator on sale for $5. I also paid $5 for the iOS version. With the purchase of Pixelmator Pro I am out of pocket only $70!

I also own the Adobe Suite which cost me $1,800. I rarely use it.

Pixelmator Pro looks great on my Mac and I expect it will become my ‘go to’ app for the next few years for photo manipulation. I’ll keep using regular Pixelmator on my older MacBook Pro until upgrading.

Unfortunately, customers don’t understand that Pixelmator Pro is a completely new app that requires resources to develop. Honestly, it looks and feels like a state-of-the-art product worth much more.

You can’t please everybody but you did succeed in pleasing me. I look forward to future updates including Pixelmator Pro for iOS. Many thanks!

2017-12-01 21:06:36

"Do you really want to leave a good product behind only because you don't want others (in this case new users) to have any benefits? Other than it being somewhat hateful to a fellow human being..."
Sebastian, let me rephrase, there are many instances where application or service upgrades are offered to existing owners at a discount. The Pixelmator marketing strategy is to not offer existing customers a discount or a 'brand loyalty reward'. Existing customers who are disappointed with that strategy are, from my perspective, not attempting to prevent new users of benefits.
Yes, Pixelmator is a great app, and yes, many of your customers made the buying decision because it is NOT a subscription based license. But some of your customers think your marketing tactics are not inline with their expectations and may wish to explore other options in the marketplace. it is not remotely related to "being somewhat hateful to a fellow human being".

2017-12-02 11:26:35

"Upgrade/selective discount pricing isn't reallyavailable on the App Store so this isn't technically possible"

What is technically then when I install an app for free, and they pay (from within the app) for the full version, or if I pay for an app, and then pay (from within the app) for in-app purchases???
MAGIC?
(just check out this app: https://itunes.apple.com/pl/app/mindnode-5/id1289197285 - they offer UPGRADE)

So just build that "Upgrade" button within Pixelmator, and I will have nice option to upgrade to Pro with good price for existing customer.

I like Pixelmator, and would like to pay upgrade price to Pro. But - as many before, I will not do that, as I do not see any reason to be loyal towards Pixelmator, as Pixelmator is not loyal to me.

2017-12-04 21:41:02

I'd like to offer $45 to upgrade via an in-app purchase within Pixelmator. How many others will upgrade at this price, but would not for $60? By the way, $15 for Pixelmator + $45 for upgrade= $60 = same as purchase price of PMPro = Fair to PM purchasers. I have to believe if a few hundred people would be in that boat, Pixelmator would make it happen.

2017-12-06 22:55:25

Is there a post or link that shows a comparison of the differences between the original pixelmatr and the pro version? Thanks in advance.

2017-12-07 16:59:16

I agree. I bought pixelmator at full price when it first came out. All the requests I've submitted seems to be in the pro version like single screen. As loyal user we should get upgrade with in the app to pro version. Like dantini said. So even new users won't be able to get cheaper. If you don't look after your loyal users that would be such a shame for the company.

2018-01-28 19:25:57

by Andrius 2017-11-29 19:35:53 Upgrade/selective discount pricing isn't reallyavailable on the App Store so this isn't technically possible. That's one of the reasons why we picked $59 as an introductory price (as mentioned here:http://www.pixelmator.com/blog/2017/11/07/11-29/) instead of the $99 we originally intended to launch for.The original Pixelmator isn't going anyhwere — although Pixelmator Pro is now our main focus, we plan to keep shipping updates to the original Pixelmator. And it's a great app! So you're free to keep using and loving it. :)
That’s really not true — you should contact the developers at the Omni Group. They have solved this problem and do exactly what your users have been asking for:

https://www.omnigroup.com/blog/providin ... experience

2018-02-06 19:52:59

I was also seeking an upgrade discount, but then I realized you just made it cheaper for everyone! That's awesome = D I'm telling my mom about this! I am grateful for the new Pro features, and happy to pay a mere $60 for these vast improvements. I work with a developer on visualization software, and it takes A LOT of effort, time, discipline, and resources to develop advanced features that (in the case of Pixelmator) compete with software you can only rent from others. I paid for Pixelmator once, and have received tremendous time saving value from this software at a fraction of the price of comparable alternatives. And the dev team behind the scenes continues to work to provide features and updates, all while dealing with the curve balls that Apple throws every few months. I guess that's why I feel loyal to the Pixelmator team, and have one more reason not to ditch Mac just yet. Great work dev team. I just installed Pro, and really liking the new layout. Layers are so much easier to manage and see.

2018-08-30 20:20:24

by Sebastiaan 2017-11-30 17:32:06 The exhange rates are unfortunately something that is on Apples plate. ...didn't follow Apple's visions and did not go for a subscription based license.
WHOAH! Pixelmator being favored over Adobe by Apple has no connection to Apple Visions (WWDC18, please!) that to all of us appear more Pixelmator than Pixelmator Pro. Pixelmator supported Professional Artists are very busy, healing digital culture with Pixelmator and Pixelmator Pro. Market you describe is very much on our collective plate (s).

A) Exchange rates are a colony tool that have benefited only European colonizer states for centuries. U.S. stockpiling Euros in Wall Street Euro-tax dodges does not change anything - even Crime Lord Trump (running with the latest and greatest Euro show, aligning Brexit Neo-colonialism with Italian Mafia and Russian Bratva), Trump proves nothing changes ever, where Colony capital is concerned. Exchange is there to benefit Apple-Euro market, not you. That market puts a nice APPLE ON YOUR PLATE! Your increased Pixelmator cost in Canada is simply The Colony's tax tradition, c/o Royal Trudeau oligarchy (he called me last month while I was using Pixelmator to discuss The Colony's drug traffic in his pocket) - NOT RELEVANT!

B) Read this carefully: Pixelmator Pro is not the same app as Pixelmator. Frankly... I have not tried Pro, because by all non-pixelmator-staff reviews, you need more plugin$ to bring Pro up to level of good old Pixelmator, and Plugins spell compatibility disaster, what knocked out Adobe for some. Even then, Pro is half as intuitive as Pixelmator. Not a designer tool, yet? Give Pixelmator Pro's compact shell time to swing back to Pixelmator. Like everything Pixelmator, a fine work of art...

Colony Americas' Exchanges, that geo-political stew is not only issue for some. Heed Tech Specs, and note that App Store will not install unless Mac Model is Metal Compatible. Mojave will help us all "align".