Changing resolution

Discuss Pixelmator for iOS and mobile image editing.

2019-08-29 05:04:22

I’m having an issue with making my merged photos look realistic. I’m trying to crop a person from a high rez photo onto a low rez photo. The combo obviously doesn’t look realistic. I don’t have much of an option to get a higher resolution background photo so the only thing I can think of doing is lowering the resolution of the person image. How do I do that within pixelmator? I tried combining sharpen and smooth.

2019-08-29 07:20:15

Hi Jack.
Compositing is about getting the foreground and background objects to believably co-exist in the same frame. So colour, tone, texture, lighting, edges are all a consideration. I've had some success adding a slight blur to the entire foreground image (Add Effects > Blur) as part of the process.
If your background is a low-res image scaled up then abusing your foreground in the same way may also help. If you resize the forground to be small then bring it back up, Pixelmator will try to help and will preserve the resolution of the image. If you resize it to be small, make a tiny, almost invisible, brushstroke and resize it back up then the image will be downsampled.
Hope some of this helps.
- Stef.

2019-08-30 20:31:53

by st3f Hi Jack.
Compositing is about getting the foreground and background objects to believably co-exist in the same frame. So colour, tone, texture, lighting, edges are all a consideration. I've had some success adding a slight blur to the entire foreground image (Add Effects > Blur) as part of the process.
If your background is a low-res image scaled up then abusing your foreground in the same way may also help. If you resize the forground to be small then bring it back up, Pixelmator will try to help and will preserve the resolution of the image. If you resize it to be small, make a tiny, almost invisible, brushstroke and resize it back up then the image will be downsampled.
Hope some of this helps.
- Stef.
Stef, that worked perfectly. I was hoping for something more exact than guesstimating what resolution looks best but it’s a lot further than I got before. Thanks!